ABOVE: Helga Wengler’s Stovetop Meatloaf served with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and purple cabbage. Electronic image by Ron Flaviano for Metro Monthly and Homeplate.
Watch Helga prepare this recipe on the Homeplate YouTube Channel. Search “Homeplate – Kitchen Witch – Meatloaf” or click Helga’s Stovetop Meatloaf
RECIPE BY HELGA THE KITCHEN WITCH
2 pounds ground chuck
1 pound ground pork
1 medium onion (approximately 1 cup chopped)
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
2-3 dashes of Maagi seasoning (optional)
3 slices rye bread or day-old kaiser rolls.
2 bullion cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 can mushrooms
1. Combine and mix meats in a large bowl.
2. Add salt, pepper, curry and Maagi.
3. Put bread in a bowl with warm water and soak for 5 minutes. Crumble bread into meat mixture (leave bread a little wet). Mix well.
4. Form two loaves, then roll in breadcrumbs.
5. Take 2 tablespoons olive oil and brown the two loaves in a stovetop Dutch oven . Brown on both sides. If there’s too much fat in pan, remove excess but reserve for later.
6. Add 2 cups of water to pan. Add 2 bullion cubes. Cover pan and bring to boil, then turn down to low heat. Cook for 1.5 hours in Dutch oven. Turn meatloaves once.
7. After the meatloaves are done, remove to platter and cover with foil. Makes 2 loaves.
If the remaining liquid in the pan has cooked down, add some water.
1. Add 2 tablespoons flour a small bowl. Mix in water to cream consistency. Add to pan.
2. Mix thoroughly with whisk. Add seasoning to taste, then strain into bowl.
3. Drain mushrooms, then add to pan. Add gravy to heat it through.
4. Serve with mashed potatoes or spaetzle.
You’ll love it.
– Helga the Kitchen Witch
ABOVE: Charlotte Wengler-Tibbetts (left) and Helga Wengler prepare Stovetop Meatloaf. Electronic image by Ron Flaviano for Metro Monthly and Homeplate.
Watch Charlotte and Helga prepare this recipe on the Homeplate YouTube Channel. Search “Homeplate – Kitchen Witch – Meatloaf” or click Helga’s Stovetop Meatloaf
© 2016 Metro Monthly and Homeplate. All rights reserved.